Sunday 1 December 2013

From zero to hero

I haven't really done anything heroic as the title of this post may suggest. The 'zero' part is from last week where I ran no miles, whereas this week I ran 5 days in a row! (Hero) a mini runstreak was forming only for it to come to an end after a very late night Friday (little alcohol was consumed, I would like to add, just little sleep) I didn't want to become run down so enjoyed a rest day on Saturday.

All hail those who are run streakers, I know of a few on Twitter, but it's not for me. I love my running but I also love my rest days and I think if I ran everyday it would become a chore rather than a pleasure and it's a lot of pressure on the body.




Every run this week was done on the Basingstoke canal. Monday to Thursday I ran 4.12miles everyday (yes the 0.12 miles is worth mentioning!!!) with my usual 13 miles to work on Friday.

I ran with running partner and work colleague Brian at lunchtime something we hadn't done for a while. It was good fun, no pressure running although the pace was half decent, clocking up averages of 8:00, 8:02, 7:55 and 8:05. Consistent good tempo running.

I've been doing all my training the last couple of months based around my heart rate and using my Polar watch on each run. The Polar personal trainer website that you upload your workouts to is great. I've mentioned it before in an earlier post when I was reviewing the watch. The Star program which I use on the site sets a goal with how long you should spend in each of the 3 zones. Zone 1 being light training up to Zone 3 which is training at the top end of your heart rate.

The four lunchtime runs had me pretty much in zone 3 for most of the time, not good which makes heart rate training the best way to train at a personal level.



I managed to rectify this a little on Fridays run to work by going nice and slow and keeping the heart rate in zone 2 for most the way. It was a slow run and difficult sometimes not to want to speed up but I will run whatever is best for my heart.


I can't get into zone 1 for any length of time, I think I would have to record myself sleeping in that zone to keep my heart rate low enough to record in this zone.

I'm writing this post Sunday morning, I've already clocked up 30 miles this week, the intention is to get out for 6 miles today but family commitments and putting up the Christmas tree, might put pay to that. It depends how long it takes to unravel the lights and check every bulb is working!

........it's now Sunday evening as I finish this post, I didn't get out for the run, but we did get the tree up! 

I'd also like to give a couple of mentions. 

One to Maya from Happy Running Feet, who listed me in their best running sites: http://happyrunningfeet.com/best-of-the-best-the-top-running-sites/ 

The other to Jody Raynsford (Writer, Ultrarunner, Men's Running Contributor) who used my blog as an example in a recent talk he did. Thank you both.


2 comments:

  1. I am with you on the streaking, I will go through phases where I run every day but it's because I'm feeling like I want to. The moment I start feeling like it's a "have to do" is when I take a day (or 3!) off.

    As usual, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby for the comment and kind words :-)

      Delete