Wednesday 22 August 2012

Out of time



For the first time in over a year I'm actually not training for any specific event. Hill training, Tempo runs, Long runs...not required...I can just run.

In the last few weeks I have been running when I want, where I want and more importantly without any pressure of times and distance, because I took the big step of RUNNING NAKED!

Running naked is a term in running meaning - No gadgets, so no watches, GPS etc. The first run was tough,very tough, for 8 years I have been running with pretty much every run recorded. By the third run though I was beginning to except and even quite enjoy my new found freedom and it was quite refreshing.

After the first week, I then had a week off from running. I was away to Cornwall with friends and family. The first things I packed were my trainers. All I could think about was the chance to be running the coastal paths everyday. After two nights of lousy sleep in a tent the thoughts of running went out the window, and I resigned myself to actually taking a break from running, let my hair down and enjoy some good old Cornish pasties and give the legs a good old rest. What did it matter, I wasn't recording any runs, so enjoy some time out.

At the weekend I hit the North Downs Way. The plan was to run roughly an hour, I drove to one of my favourite spots in Puttenham to pick up the path. After a couple of miles of climbing, the path tracks through an open area with some beautiful views. When I got there, there was not a soul to be seen, I stopped to have a quick slurp of my drink before continuing..."Hang on a minute" I thought, "I'm not timing this, what does it matter if I sit down and enjoy the views for 10 minutes" and that's exactly what I did with the world to myself. Had I been running a set distance and timing this run, the obsession with figures would have had me glimpsing at the views but this day I had spent a wonderful 10 minutes taking in the beautiful surroundings.

Time Out
In the back of my head I still know roughly what distances I'm running. I know if I'm out for an hour I'm going to be running about 7 miles, and if I'm running to work I know I've done near on a Half Mary. But it's nice not having the pressure of times and always looking at the watch. I've planned to do this for a month, but I'm feeling so relaxed and care free about my running at the moment.

I'm not sure what I'm planning next, I'd like to train for another marathon, and when I do this I will probably follow a structured plan but until then I may continue with running naked for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment