Thursday 19 April 2012

Countdown begins...3...

So I've gone a little early on the carb loading, I started at the beginning of the week, it's now Thursday and I'm sick of the sight of Pasta. I should have started today I guess and that would have been sufficient. On the plus side it means I've eaten more healthy the last couple of weeks, with raw carrots, dried fuit and nuts and healthy museli bars all adding to the balance.

Healthy!
Arrrggghhh...Pasta!



It's true what they say about the Taper madness, not only have I been going stir crazy with not being able to run as much, I've been getting obsessed with catching a cold the last few days, so much that I've taken to having a litre of orange juice on my desk at work everyday this week!

So running has been limited, I started my taper 3 weeks before race day, having previously run 20 miles on my last long run, my long run then decreased down to 15 miles, and then 7 miles the following week, with a few regular lunchtime 4 milers mixed in. Today was my last run before the big day on Sunday, a comfortable 3.5 miles along the canal at lunchtime with friend Brian.

This week has not been as relaxing as I'd hope with being busy at work and working from home in the evenings. I would have liked to have spent a bit more time relaxing and getting in the marathon mood, but I can do that from tonight and I'm looking forward to heading to the Expo tomorrow and that should really get me in the spirit.

Now don't laugh, but I've decided for inspiration that I'm going to watch a Rocky film on Saturday, you know what I mean with those training scenes in the snow etc. with the music making the hairs on the back of your neck stand up on end and the adrenaline pumping...I said don't laugh, corny I know!

My last couple of longer runs have taken me on the peace and quiet of the North downs and the Basingstoke canal, it will seem strange to be swapping these surroundings with the capital and one of the biggest marathons in the world.

From this...
...and this...


TO THIS!!!
I'll update again tomorrow with pictures and thoughts from the Expo. :-)

2 comments:

  1. There was a study by the University of Western Australia (I think) with results showing that carb loading works better when pre-empted with carb depletion. So NO carbs for 3 days or so, then carb loading for 2-3 days before the marathon. Bit late for it now though, ha ha!
    Best of luck on the day mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god I know how you feel, if II don't see another bowl of pasta for the rest of the year I'll be happy!

    ReplyDelete