My second recipe posting, I'm not sure how long i'll be able to keep going with the meals beginning with 'C' so I get to prefix with Chitty!
This is my take on the classic dish which packs a protein and carb hit idea for the night before a run or for recovery after. Packed with tomatoes which contain lycopene, one of the most powerful natural antioxidants plus the benefits of chiili and garlic.
Traditionally this is made with beef mince but I like to use Lamb mince. I also use sweet pointed peppers, a little more expensive than the more common bell pepper but a lot more tasty.
- 500g Lamb mince
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of Mixed Herbs
- 3 red chilli's finely sliced (seeds optional, but be warned they add the heat!)
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Splash of Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 800g of Chopped Tomatoes
- 160g of Sweetcorn
- 200g of Kidney Beans
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 Button Mushrooms sliced
- Splash of Red Wine
- Long grain Rice 75g per person
- Heat the Oil in a large Saucepan and add the Onion, Cook on a high heat for about 1 minute.
- Add the Lamb mince and cornflour and brown the mince.
- Next add the Tomatoes and stir.
- Lower the heat and add the Mixed Herbs,Chilli's, Stock cube and Mushrooms, stir well.
- After a couple of minutes add the remaining ingredients (Sweetcorn, Kidney Beans,Wine and Worcestershire sauce.)
- Give it one last stir and lower the heat to it's lowest and lit simmer for 1 hour.
- 10 minutes from serving, cook the rice (Tip: Add Tumeric to the boiling water and not only do you get vibrant coloured rice but the health benefits of the tumeric.)
- Enjoy with a nice glass of the remaining Red wine and some Garlic Bread....Lovely.