Thursday 18 August 2016

Not 'Running' OK in the UK

Hello......is there anybody out there???

I doubt it, I haven't posted in well over a year, mainly because I haven't been running in that time!

Why? Well partly due to injury, yes I still suffer with achillies problems. If you used to read the blog regularly you will remember this was a constant problem to me. It's not got any better, in fact it's now so chronic that even after a year, every time I try to run the pain returns.

The other reason is that I've found something to replace the running...Speedflex.

Speedflex is HIIT (High intensity interval training) which uses a combination of non weight lifting machines and auxiliary exercises (weighted bags, medicine balls, kettle bells, exercise ropes). Due to the way the machines work and the excercises that you do on them, there is no muscle soreness after the workout so you can train everyday. The machines work against your own effort and resistance. I do this 4-5 days a week, at 7am. It lasts 30 minutes, in a class with a great bunch of people.

I've been doing Speedflex for 11 months now and feel better physically and mentally then I ever was with running!


I miss the outdoor element of running but that has been replaced with long hikes over the last year, as I have done and trained for the 3 peaks challenge (2015) and a 14 peak challenge this year in the Lake District.


The 3 peak challenge last year took me to a place mentally and physically, running had not taken me before. I'm glad I done it but would not do again. The logistics of travelling the 3 countries of the UK in 24 hours and climbing the highest mountain in each of the countries was tough!

The 14 peaks this year was 9.5 hours of walking over some of the higher peaks of the Lake District. It was kinder, still tough, but more relaxed and we had good weather! One thing we did not have with the 3 peaks last year! On Snowdon in Wales last year we experienced some of the worst weather that I, and our experienced guide had seen on the mountain.

Let's move on.....Bad memories........

Will I run again? I'm not sure, it was a massive part of my life over the last 10 years but I'm enjoying my exercise and hobbies more than ever with my spare time now.

I've even made a song! 😂😂😂
I've always enjoyed singing and songwriting and in the last year have teamed up with a local guy to write and record some stuff. We have one song out at the moment but still working on new material. It's a long process especially when we only get together 1-2 times a week but I enjoy it but don't expect to be the next Justin Bieber anytime soon!!!

If you're at all interested or even reading this! Here's a couple of links to the song:
https://open.spotify.com/track/5qROHP4LGTcfF1b5OGOnTD
https://www.facebook.com/2ChasetheSun/
So that's where I've been. I miss the blog, I miss the fresh air but things are going OK in the UK.


7 comments:

  1. As long as you have a way of enjoying the outdoors. Running has been in second place to cricket for me this summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're still here Ian. So happy to hear what you've been up to. Love to read your blog no matter what the topic. Life is about enjoying the journey, sounds like you're doing just that. What kind of poles do you use when hiking? We've been using Black Diamond Z-Poles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!

    I've just found your blog through the web ...it's a beautiful running blog.

    Great picture of that British Mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work.Just wanted to drop a comment and say I am new to your blog and really like what I am reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad to hear someone cannot run anymore but hey, if you found something that makes you even happier why not. Every sport is great sport. I've got my issues as well lately with my knees, shoulders and plantar fasciitis. So the plan is just to take it easy for a while. Taking some time off from running momentarily and see how it goes later. Cheers from Toronto, Canada! Vic

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Is Really Great Work. Thank You For Sharing Such A Good And Useful Information Here In The Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In other words, embroidery digitizing services is using embroidery software to create a machine embroidery design file with a series of commands that tell your embroidery machine how to stitch out that design.

    ReplyDelete