Sunday 22 January 2012

Making the most of the lunchtime run

A measly 45 minutes is all I get for lunch at work, which gives me enough time to eat my lunch, catch up on Twitter, a 5 minute walk to stretch the eyes and legs and then back to work....

...Or, I can get out for 35 minutes for a run. It used to be a plod down the canal or over the local common, which is great but they were becoming 'junk' miles. Junk miles are those miles where you run for the sake of running because you're paranoid about the 'numbers', and you must complete 'x' amount of miles each week (We all do it!)

So now it's a case of making these 4 or 5 miles count. I probably get out for about 3 runs during the week at lunchtime, One of these runs is now a Tempo run which has me pushing myself to the limit for 4.12miles (I told you we all obsess about the numbers, notice I had to include the .12!!!).

Amazingly the week before last I managed to run the fastest I've ever run the 4 miles..Ahem, sorry 4.12 miles with a 7:07min/mile pace, which goes to show that as you get older, it does not mean you cannot push the boundaries. I'm not sure I can push into the 6 min/mile bracket, but who knows, watch this space.

I don't look forward to these runs, as at the end I'm doubled over with my legs and lungs screaming at me to get back to the old routine. Tempo runs hurt, but then 'No pain, No gain'.

Tempo Runs!!!
My second run of the week will be a hill session, this is a 4.9 mile route which I can just about squeeze in the lunch break. This consists of running down and up, four times, a quite testing hill in a quiet residential street in Woking town. I must admit I do quite enjoy hill running, and much prefer this to the tempo session. After any hill training I always feel stronger as a runner and have really benefited from the session.

The third run will probably be an easy run where I can enjoy the surroundings and have a chat with work colleague and running buddy Brian.

With this weekly routine and a long run, marathon training is coming on nicely. The last couple of weeks has seen the long run increase to 16 miles, running at my marathon pace (8:50 - 9 min/miles).

With 3 months left to London, my running at present is in a good place.

No comments:

Post a Comment